Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Long History of The Catcher in the Rye, It's Relevance, and Annoying Bratty Teenagers.

          The Catcher in the Rye. Oh what a book. Honestly my whole life I thought the book was called Catch Her in the Rye, and even once I learned the real title I thought the book was about some kidnapper who hid in a field of grain. Anyways, I have seen such a mix of emotions to this book. Most of the people I have talked to don't seem to like it very much. Some politely state that they don't enjoy the book (Teddy Ostrow) and some scream in horror, pull a face, and run away (Peter Diller). I have met one person who likes the book, and he said "Every time I read it, I get something different from it".
         Something that I think is extremely interesting is that the story is over 60 years old. I have to ask myself if the book is still relevant to today. Honestly, I think it is. The book was published at a time when kids were suppose to be "seen and not heard". It was ground breaking to have a story about a mid-teenage boy wandering around the city, buying drink, getting hookers, and ridiculing others. 
         I think part of the reason why some many people hate the book, is because the writing is just rambling with long paragraphs and the story doesn't really go anywhere. However I believe that this book is suppose to be the mind of a teenager, something tabooed at that point. Our minds are not interesting, our minds are not formulated, our minds never shut up. Thats what I think the point is. 
        As I said to my dad "I don't like it, but I can relate to it". Hearing a bratty teenager complain page after page, however annoying, was strangely familiar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment