Thursday, January 6, 2011

You Are No Hero

          There is, of course, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Then there is the movie adaptation. I have heard so much about how terrible the movie is compared to the book. I am not doubting this. However, there are different concepts behind each one.
          In the book, there is this overall theme of growing up. The kids start out young, and grow not only in age but awareness of the world. The book is more of a coming of age, and justice story. The movie is more about living in a modern world and how to adapt.
          I guess what both the movie and the book have in common is that there is the struggle and pull of old and new. Traditional and modern have this really dangerous balance and anything can tip that scale. The whole issue in the plot, is that some people want to destroy the old and start from scratch and some want to build on top of the old. 
         I guess what you have to try and figure out, is if the history and lessons of the past would help the future, or if the mistakes and damage would hold the future back. I personally think that the knowledge of the past is much more valuable. 
         We have to learn from our mistakes and gather information for the future. If you just wipe the slate clean, live to forget, what do you learn? Nothing. Each generation holds the power to continue, or eliminate. That is why I think the name of the book is Lightning Thief. Lightning stands for strength and power. This generation, this new age of heros, is stealing the power from the last.
         

2 comments:

  1. Good blogpost Sophia! One thing I really liked is you went pretty deep and was not afraid to state your opinion. One thing I think could be fixed, is I feel the book to world writing is not very balanced. Overall, BOO YAHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a great blog post. It made me think about the different concepts in movies and books. Also how you relate it back to the title.

    ReplyDelete