Thursday, January 13, 2011

England Trends

          I'm reading The Dead Fathers Club, and I haven't gotten very far. However, I have noticed a trend going through my reading material. In this book, and the one I read before it, there hasn't been traditional punctuation. When people speak, There aren't "" marks. The dialog looks more like: She said Do you want to go home?
          It made me think about why both books did that. There are two similar things in each story: one, they are both set in England and two, the main characters are mentally challenged. Ruling out England just has bad grammar, I figured that there was a theme running through each book. The theme of reality.
          It is impossible to understand or know what is happening inside the heads of people who have autism, or some other disability. Both authors seem to agree that what happens to these children is very real. What I mean by that, is despite the lack of communication and understanding, they are still humans, and they still have emotions and feeling that all of us have.
         Portraying a mentally challenged person, is a very hard undertaking. You have to learn to be respectful, but to be truthful. We learned that in drama class. We don't even know how many people have autism. That is how much people scurry away from mental diseases.
          The lack of "" makes what your read, something you can almost hear in your own head. When you are having a conversation, you might not process what someone has said immediately, and sometimes you have to go back. That's the way this book works, sometimes I do have to reread to try and understand what has been said. This is even more amplified for the two main characters, because they are autistic. There is the lack of defining where someone speaks and where the rest of the world comes into play. That doesn't even make sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment